On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 10:33 AM Tomas Mraz <tm...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/24/2017 04:23 PM, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> > I was asked here to merge pull request that moves the openssl makefile
> > and scripts for creating self signed certificates to /usr/share/doc.
> >
> > I am not sure this is the right thing to do as these are definitely
> > still used currently.
> >
> > Although it is much easier now to set up proper certificates for your
> > servers with Let's Encrypt, it is still not fully automatable process
> > (it needs at least some set up at the beginning for the first issued
> > certificate). Thus it cannot be included for example in rpm packages
> > %post scripts, etc.
> >
> > At least I would like to know from maintainers of packages  that depend
> > on openssl whether they currently use the makefile or the scripts to
> > create self signed certificate for the service.
>
> One more thing to add - the pull request is here:
>
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/openssl/pull-request/1

I'd like to recommend that we start encouraging people to use SSCG for
generating "self-signed"[1] certificates when their packages need them.

Also, just a reminder: if you are using any of these tools to generate
self-signed certificates as part of an RPM scriptlet, please stop doing
that and read https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Initial_Service_Setup
which
will teach you how to move that into a systemd unit that runs prior to
service startup rather than when the package is installed. This has
multiple advantages; the entropy pool is likely to be more full during
system start-up and it allows tools like virt-sysprep to safely wipe out
the certificates when making a Gold Master VM, since the system will
automatically generate fresh ones.

[1] SSCG actually generates a one-time-use CA, signs the certificates and
then destroys the private key of the CA. See
https://sgallagh.wordpress.com/2016/05/02/self-signed-ssltls-certificates-why-they-are-terrible-and-a-better-alternative/
for
a complete explanation.