On Sat, Jan 06, 2018 at 09:09:52AM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > to support its customization, extensibility and testability. It will
> > be easier to monitor the installation, maintain an install class or an
> > addon, drop some modules or provide your own UI.
> Wow, that sounds like a hefty change. Has the work already begun?
> Is there a repo/branch where one can look at the WIP, test stuff, etc?

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with "Contingency deadline: Final freeze"
for this. Is the plan to keep making and testing the old (current)
version until that point?

Final freeze is 2018-04-17, with target release date just two weeks
later on 2018-05-01 — which means go/no-go on 2018-04-26, which means
we need a perfect release candidate on 2018-04-25, which means all
fixes need to be in on 2018-04-24. There's a weekend in there, so that
just means *five* working days.

If both branches are going to be kept and tested in a "could go this
way" state up until the final freeze, that could work. But if it's "all
development on new thing, old thing left in the freezer", I'm afraid
five days isn't enough time to get it out and get it into shape again.

Keeping both approaches up-to-date and tested seems like a lot of extra
work. On the other hand, putting the decision much earlier means that
we don't get the benefit of beta feedback. My inclination is to ask for
a contingency-activation check a week _before_ the final freeze, which
gives an extra two weeks (ideally) or one week (if the beta slips) to
get the contingency into shape.

Anaconda team, opinions on this?

--
Matthew Miller