On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 4:34 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <ti...@math.uh.edu> wrote:

> FW> It could also be branched into Red Hat Enterprise Linux proper, and
> FW> in that case, it would be nice to minimize the differences.
>
> That would be kind of outside the scope of Fedora, though.  Many of us
> watching from outside would assume that instructions on handling that
> would have gone to the maintainers of those packages in RHEL via
> internal Red Hat management channels.

Hm.  On the one hand, that's a fair assumption to make.  On the other
hand, it seems unnecessarily adversarial.

I kind of thought we were past the point where Fedora and Red Hat
Enterprise Linux were somehow viewed as anything other than symbiotic
in their relationship.  As a direct result of that, the relationship
between the Fedora community and Red Hat should be both collaborative
and symbiotic.  To be frank, Fedora cannot exist without the corporate
sponsorship Red Hat provides.  To be as equally frank, the value the
Fedora community provides back to Red Hat in the form of contributions
in Fedora that directly impact (and improve!) RHEL is extremely high.

So when a community member reaches out and asks people to help out
with a small change to packages that *already* conditionalize
something, I don't see why that isn't a reasonable request.  While a
number of these packages are likely maintained by a common person in
Fedora and RHEL, not all of them are.  Further, the packages found in
current RHEL do not necessarily represent the packages found in future
versions.

At the very least, I did not expect a discussion about the scope of
Fedora with such a small request.  It would have been pretty trivial
to script this and use a provenpackager to make the changes across the
board.  Instead of doing this by fiat, this seems like an attempt to
be proactive and inclusive even if the impact isn't *directly* a
Fedora specific change.  I would hope our community would view that as
a positive thing.

josh