On Fr, 12.01.18 09:28, Steve Dickson (ste...@redhat.com) wrote:

> > User namespacing is a Linux kernel feature. It's most well known
> > consumers are probably Docker, and maybe flatpak/bubblewrap and LXC.
> Well know for how long?

The commit adding user namespaces to the Linux kernel was in 2007. 11
years ago, in kernel 2.6.23.

> > It's not systemd that came up with reusing 65534 for user
> > namespacing. It's kernel people:
> >
> >         $ cat /proc/sys/kernel/overflowuid
> >         65534
> How was that number chosen and why can't be changed?

It's conceptually the same thing: it's where UIDs are mapped that
cannot be mapped properly otherwise.

In theory you can change it by echoing something into sysctl, but
that's mostly theoretic, and not what the various consumers of userns
do.

And regardless, it's conceptually the same thing anyway, so it makes a
ton of sense to use the UID there for both NFS and userns
purposes. While I have my reservations about userns in general the
logic behind using that UID for this purpose is very clear to me and
makes sense as far as I can see.

> > That UID long ceased to be Steve Dickson's private property, and it's
> > not systemd who took it away from you. It's evil evil kernel
> > hackers. Please complain to them.
>
> more sigh... This attitude is so old and unnecessary... sigh again...

Well, you turned this into a "I don't like systemd" thing, not me.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat