On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 8:01 AM, Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 12:39 PM, Matthew Miller
> <mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 10:40:36AM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>> That's just all the more reason to publish the branched packages in CentOS
>>> Git as soon as they're branched, or even maintain them in Fedora dist-git.
>>> But I'm not holding my breath for it to happen any time soon.
>>
>> I wouldn't suggest holding breath, exactly, but let's entertain the
>> idea. (I mean, at the very least, hey, it's open source, and we could
>> import branches from CentOS dist-git if we found a benefit from it....)
>>
>> If we did this in Fedora dist-git, how would people feel about having a
>> RHEL/CentOS branch which is effectively owned by the company? Since the
>> Core/Extras merge, we've striven to avoid cases where Red Hat has
>> special access. This wouldn't introduce any regression in that to
>> Fedora-OS branches themselves, but there would be some
>> "company-specialness" which we've kept away from. Is that okay?
>>

> (just a nit, but I think you mean "strived")
>
> Didn't we *just* lose this functionality (per branch ACLs) when we
> moved to Pagure? That being said, while I would *love* for RHEL
> branches to be part of the Fedora Dist-Git, I really doubt it would
> happen. That said, syncing in the CentOS branches into the tree would
> be interesting, and make it much easier to see where things lie w.r.t.
> changes between Fedora and RHEL.

I was wondering about the ACLs myself.

> It's interesting that you bring this up, because SUSE elected to do
> this for the SLE 15 development[1]. All the sources are public, and
> while only a few things (a few bots and SUSE employees) can submit
> into SLE 15, it's been helping them with the Leap 15 development and
> for making sure stuff is properly synchronized between Factory (their
> equivalent of Rawhide), the openSUSE Leap 15 development tree, and the
> SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 development tree. Technically, I can
> indirectly contribute to SLE 15 through submitting change requests to
> the Leap 15 project, which has some interesting implications.

This is interesting, but I wonder how often we shoot ourselves in the
foot by comparing an idea to what someone else kind of already did
that's similar but not exactly the same.  I'd rather see us take an
idea and evaluate what we, Fedora, want out of it.  And I know we kill
ideas because of doubt, so let's not do that right now.  Let's go
through the exercise and see if this is something that will be
beneficial and *worth* discussing with Red Hat rather than just
assuming it would be shot down.

> The holy grail would be allowing people to submit PRs that Red Hat
> folks could consider to include into RHEL 8, but honestly, I don't
> think it'll happen. I even doubt we'd be able to have EL branches of
> packages merged into Dist-Git. And mirroring CentOS branches is not
> particularly useful (though their Git frontend is garbage...), a link
> to the package in CentOS Git would be sufficient for people to find
> the equivalent in CentOS for Fedora packages.

So a few specific theoretical benefits would be:

- Better Git frontend for CentOS
- Possibility to submit PRs against RHEL branches
- Easy to see changes from RHEL and Fedora (and CentOS).

What are some others?

> [1]: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/SUSE:SLE-15:GA
>
>> I guess theoretically with arbitrary branching, we could allow special
>> branches like this for *any* purpose, like other remixes or variants as
>> approved by the community (assuming open source and legally possible)
>> -- it wouldn't have to be Red Hat _especially_ special. RH branches
>> would just be a case of that.
>>

> But it's not arbitrary branching, and please don't treat it as such.
> It's the same type of branching we do for Fedora. Mixing concepts like
> that will give people ideas of things that aren't there.

Right.

> On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 7:43 AM, Josh Boyer <jwbo...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm surprised you've gotten 0 replies to this at all.  I can't tell if
>> that is because people didn't really catch the subject, or if people
>> aren't interested, or they don't see the benefit?
>>
>> I, for one, find the topic interesting.  I'd like to see a more
>> fleshed out idea of why we'd do that though.
>>

> At first, I missed it. Then I read it, and I blinked in disbelief.
> Then I decided to write a response, and then forgot to send it. Now I
> sent it. :)

Well, I'm glad you did.  At least the conversation is flowing.

josh