Dne 22.1.2018 v 12:31 Miroslav Suchý napsal(a):
> Dne 20.1.2018 v 12:27 Igor Gnatenko napsal(a):
>> Why I'm writing this? I want to hear from you if you think it would be good
>> prohibit (or advise, or whatever mechanism would work) usage if conditionals
>> in
>> (at least) master branch to allow us to develop features faster. Thoughts?
> -1
>
> If this were ever approved, I would orphan a lot of packages because I will
> not have time to maintain them.
>
>> Given all these, it is very hard to get any new feature in "production"
>> because
>> everyone wants to support 10 years old thing (even if they don't think so).
> Can you give a specific example? Everything you mentioned can be easily
> conditionalized on RHEL7+.
>
> For me (as an upstream author who maintains the spec file as well) the
> conditionals are useful. When I see something like:
>
>   %if 0%{?rhel} < 6
>
> then I know I can wipe it now and **remove the relevant code** in the
> application as well.
>
> Maintaining 3 spec files for Fedora and 1-2 spec files for EPEL is much much
> bigger overhead. Especially when they are
> mostly identical and differ only in few lines.
>
> Mirek

You took pretty basic example without context. So let me give you
different example.

There were attempts to get Ruby on Rails into EPEL. It is around 80
packages. Some packages were RHEL contidiontalized. But the effort to
get Ruby on Rails was never successful. Even if it was successful,
nobody maintained/updated it later, for example because more recent Ruby
on Rails, developers decided to drop support for older Ruby which are in
RHEL. That left some Fedora packages with some RHEL conditions and makes
every update of such package pain. These conditionals won't be ever used
again.

Also, from my experience maintaining Ruby in RHEL and RHSCL, in 90 %
percent of cases cherry-pick of the specific fix I want to get from
Fedora works without conflicts and if there are conflicts, they are just
in changelog.

Vít