On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 2:45 PM, Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 8:33 AM, Dridi Boukelmoune
> <dridi.boukelmo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I really do like this. There are only two issues I have with it:
> >>
> >> 1. This seems to mandate that all packages must be named by their
> >> import path. My golang package (snapd) is not, intentionally so. I
> >> don't want to change this.
> >>
> >> 2. Mandating a forge is going to be tricky for self-hosted stuff, or
> >> people who release Go code as tarballs (it's rare, but it happens).
> >> How do you deal with that?
> >
> > By not using the macros for packages not fitting the model?
> >

> The issue is that the new Go macros are tightly wound into the forge
> macros. I just want to be sure that we can leverage things like the
> dependency generators without all the other stuff.
>
> > I think this is very helpful especially when it's the common practice,
> > and I certainly won't blame anyone doing proper releases and not
> > just a git tag with github releases notes ;)
> >
> > Regarding naming, I think python packages must be prefixed with
> > python[23]- and can Provides: the upstream project name.

I'm not sure if this matters in this discussion but an example Python3 part
of a spec file https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python
to accommodate also EPEL (which on CentOS7 prefixes Python3 packages with
python34 and not python3) would look like:

%package -n python%{python3_pkgversion}-%{pname}
%{?python_provide:%python_provide python%{python3_pkgversion}-%{pname}}

Macin