On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Igor Gnatenko <
ignatenkobr...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-02-15 at 10:17 +0100, Michal Novotny wrote:
> > I feel PRs are better for this sort of stuff. Mainly because people are
> > informed why exactly this change is made,
> > they can read the guidelines and then merge the change when they are sure
> > they understand it. It helps spreading knowledge
> > and keeping community involved. Python team did it very well in their
> > "Fedora's
> > Switch to Python 3 effort
> > <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FinalizingFedoraSwitchtoPython3>", i
> think.
>
> Python changes are needed to be carefully inspected while this thing is
> about
> removing **single line** which is not needed for **10 years**. Also
> guidelines
> for Python changed recently while BuildRoot tag is not needed for many
> years
> and everyone should be aware of that.

Also look what's the progress of python→python2. It's not close to complete
> in
> any way. Most of PRs are opened and no one looks into them.

As far as I know, they are going to auto-merge the PR after some period of
time,
which is probably a pretty good solution.

> > There are other reasons too. Some projects might keep the original spec
> > file somewhere
> > else than in DistGit and they need to port those changes back to the
> > original spec files. It is much more pleasant to have those
> > changes placed in a PR with a relevant description, which will also give
> > them a proper notification. Otherwise, they might end
> > up solving some unexpected conflicts next time they import their new spec
> > files into DistGit.
>
> You probably not aware, but we have guidelines about exactly this thing[0].
> > Fedora's git repository is the canonical location for Fedora spec files.
> Maintainers MUST expect that other maintainers and automated tooling will
> make
> changes to their packages, potentially without communicating prior to
> doing so
> (though communication is always encouraged). If some maintainers are also
> attempting to keep copies of a spec in an outside repository, they MUST be
> prepared to merge changes made to the spec in Fedora's repository, and
> MUST NOT
> overwrite those changes with a copy from an external repository or using
> fedpkg
> import.

I am overwriting changes in %changelog from auto-rebuilds all the time
because I don't
really want messages in %changelog like:

"Rebuilt for https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_27_Mass_Rebuild";

I think that by PRs (that would get automatically merged after some time)
more could be actually achieved in a long run. If you make a PR and you give
it a good description, it will probably reach more people. But I admit it's
more
difficult to do than a single commit.