Yes, SSSD monitors those files and automatically cleans its cache.

However, you're right. On systems not using SSSD (which I suspect is a
nontrivial number of systems running systemd...), people are probably still
using nss and we should call `nscd -i passwd` (plus `group` and `shadow`
where appropriate) if the nscd service is running.

nscd is supposed to monitor these files, too.

But is this monitoring sufficient? RPM will immediately start installing files after the scriptlet has finished. nscd and SSSD may not have completed their cache invalidation at this point, so this looks like a race condition to me.

Thanks,
Florian