On 03/08/2018 12:42 PM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
On 03/08/2018 12:21 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 08.03.2018 um 08:53 schrieb Panu Matilainen:
P.P.S. So why didn't yum have anything like that? Because back then, there were other upgrade methods that did run on the "target stack": anaconda, preupgrade, fedup to name a few

and i never used one of them - i did hundrets of dist-upgrades for more than a decade on dozens of machines (workstations and production servers) with yum/dnf - full stop

Sure. You just either didn't upgrade between versions that introduced a new rpmlib() dependency or updated rpm first, one way or the other.

...or the couple of features were introduced in that period were done using the one generic solution at hand I did mention in my earlier email: wait until the previous Fedora supports the new feature too before enabling in the new. Come to think of it, I think this was mostly the case. It'd be in the ml archives if somebody wants to dig (we're talking about rpm 4.6 - 4.7 era, SHA256 file digests and XZ payload compression being the big ones I can remember offhand)

Oh, and of course back then it was nearly impossible to introduce such features in the first place because the builders were running RHEL. Those couple of features that were introduced required a custom rpm to be used on builders. Those were the days... no I dont miss.

         - Panu -