It is my upstream opinion that the entire free desktop landscape should use
Noto Sans/Serif (UI) as the default (fallback) font for everything and not ship
anything else in a base system, except DejaVu Mono because Noto Mono has only a
regular face.

Self-quote:

> The difference between Noto Sans UI and Noto Sans is that UI keeps the
> vertical height the same across all scripts, so text height doesn't jump when
> multiple scripts turn up on the same line or you switch from one script to
> the next.
>
> Noto Sans (UI) should be the default (fallback) font for everything anyway,
> as it is the most-well funded professional, open-source, active font
> development effort spanning the most languages. The alternatives for
> different languages commonly shipping with distros don't even compare in
> quality.

Side-note: changing the default (fallback) sans font has side-effects: websites
relying on DejaVu being the default sans have their text appear smaller.