modules are not RPMs.  I would not expect them to necessarily use the same
format as RPMs.  If we take koji out of the equation, we have module builds
in N:S:V:C format and module RPMs in N-V-R.A format.  They use different
separators, but both can be parsed consistently.

The challenge here is that those module builds are squeezed into a N-V-R
format when imported into Koji.  The N-V-R format is used for all build
types in Koji and it works well for its purpose, but it's also not
realistic to expect that all content types are going to natively use N-V-R
outside of Koji. My suggestion is that we consider the N-V-R format of
modules to be a representation internal to koji and that N:S:V:C is the
format used to represent modules to users.  If that means tweaking the Koji
UI we can look into that.

Cheers
-- Dennis

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 3:40 PM, Randy Barlow <bowlofe...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On 03/16/2018 05:18 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> > I wonder what we can do about this. Is it FESCo material?
> > Can the folks working on modularity comment more on this?
>
> I am considering filing it for FESCo to consider. I haven't seen a
> compelling explanation for why modules are using a different separator
> than our other content types so far, and it really does break a lot of
> tooling.
>
> Koji also does not allow the :'s (so modules continue to use -'s there),
> so it also causes an inconsistency in NSVC syntax for Koji and
> everything else (which will be very confusing in the Bodhi UI, which
> touches "everything else" as well as Koji).

Dennis Gregorovic
Manager, PnT DevOps
Red Hat
dgre...@redhat.com    T: +1-978.392.3112    M: +1-617.901.9799