On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 9:06 PM, James Hogarth <james.hoga...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Sorry Matthew but I can't see that actually happening at all...
>> >
>> > If they are already leaping to drop python2-* way ahead of the proposed
>> > EOL
>> > of 2020 when there is no extra effort to include the subpackage in their
>> > "normal" koiji+bodhi workflow for the main repos... why would they go to
>> > the extra effort of a special split to do that (no longer simple
>> > subpackage) into a module?
>>
>> Yeah, it would make sense where it's a pure-python python 2 lib, but be
>> quite a pain for packages where python 2 bindings are subpackages.
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Miller
>> <mat...@fedoraproject.org>
>> Fedora Project Leader
>

> Heh just saw this one from a comment on Reddit...
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1714107
>
> Unless Nirik does a "maintainer patch" porting the entire code over himself
> I guess no more Calibre in F30 ;)

"I am perfectly capable of maintaining python 2 myself."
Best laugh I had today.

But that's beside the point.
I just wanted to throw in something that I don't quite understand
about this thread:

If I understand correctly, the original proposal was about
- dropping python2 support and sub-packages only in "fedora > 29" or
"fedora >= 29" (see the original mail in this thread),
- starting from leaf packages, so no unmet dependencies are introduced
during the retirement process.

According to this, the python2 bindings for firewalld shouldn't have
been dropped from f28 at all, because
- there's still something depending on them (ansible support for
firewalld, still uses python2 on f28), and
- the change was explicitly about f29+ (and not f28, too).

Please correct me if I am wrong.

If I am correct though, it looks like the rawhide change to remove the
python2 sub-package from firewalld was mistakenly merged from rawhide
into f28, and should be reverted.

Fabio