On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 6:24 AM Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on improving the Fedora boot experience, with the
> end goal being a user pressing the on button and then going
> to the graphical login manager without him seeing any
> text messages / menus filled with technical jargon.
>
> IIRC we used to hide the grub-menu by default on single
> OS installs, but we seemed to have stopped doing that,
> for new Fedora 29 installs I would like us to start
> hiding the menu by default on single OS installs again,
> see:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/HiddenGrubMenu
>
> The goal if this email is to:
> 1) Give people an advance warning about the plan to change
> this so we can discuss this early on
>
> 2) See if anyone knows why we stopped doing this, I think
> we may simply have stopped doing this to simplify to bootconfig
> code in anaconda and because we did not always identify the
> single OS case correctly, but I wonder if there were other
> reasons?

I think part of the reason is that non-technical people might not know how
to recover if a kernel update had a regression leaving their system
unbootable. At least with the boot config screen there, it offers them
something to try.

I would be concerned if we drop this without instituting an alternative way
to (perhaps automatically) revert to an older kernel if boot failed to
reach some sensible systemd target.