On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 2:43 PM, Andrew Lutomirski <l...@mit.edu> wrote:

> More concretely, perhaps plymouth could display such a message on its
> splash screen for as long as its running.  But the message should
> probably be more accurate, along the lines of "Reboot and hold the
> Shift key for more boot options".

I like this general direction. The parts I'm skeptical about is boot
times for some computers are really super short. And some hardware
there is a delay in plymouth even coming up due to kernel messages,
which reduces the time this message would be visible. So it'll take
some spitballing and testing. But I think it's better to give
instructions in plymouth than pretend there's any time to do it in
GRUB.

And also, I think the idea of faster boot times stated for Fedora 29
and Fedora 30 with firmware fast boot support means no USB control
anyway. Yes GRUB itself can initialize USB with its own driver even if
the firmware disables USB. But that'd defeat the point of faster
booting. So on first boot there I'm expecting there isn't any working
USB anyway  - and if that's correct the proper place for messaging is
plymouth.

Another part I'm skeptical of, is the localization of this message in
plymouth based on user's language selection: at installation time? And
how it will be modified? And what languages will be supported? And all
the commensurate testing that indicates. Etc.

--
Chris Murphy