> = Proposed System Wide Change: i686 Is For x86-64 =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/i686_Is_For_x86-64
>

> Owner(s):
>   * Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
>

> Fedora builds its i686 packages for use on x86-64 systems as multi-lib RPMs.
>

> == Detailed description ==
> Currently, the i686 RPM packages are built in such a way that they are
> compatible with very old i686 systems, such as the Pentium III.  The
> only addition over the i686/Pentium Pro baseline is a requirement to
> support long NOPs, for Intel CET.  However, the majority of
> installations of i686 packages is for use on x86_64 systems, as
> multi-lib RPMs.  Furthermore, there are reports that the i686 kernel
> does not run stable on old hardware which is not x86-64-capable (
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/x...@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/ZHV6I4IEO7GRYAZ4TUMO5VH2ZHLCNJZQ/
> ).

Fedora 27 i686 stil runs well on a HP ProLiant ML570 G2, I don't have
kernel issues, I was unaware of kernel problems on i686.

Output of lscpu:
Architecture:        i686
CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit
Byte Order:          Little Endian
CPU(s):              8
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-7
Thread(s) per core:  2
Core(s) per socket:  1
Socket(s):           4
Vendor ID:           GenuineIntel
CPU family:          15
Model:               2
Model name:          Intel(R) Xeon(TM) MP CPU 2.70GHz
Stepping:            6
CPU MHz:             2694.885
BogoMIPS:            5389.77
Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr
pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
pebs bts cpuid cid xtpr

Kernel version: 4.16.11-200.fc27.i686+PAE #1 SMP Tue May 22 19:01:08
UTC 2018 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

> This proposal suggests to accept this reality and build the i686
> packages in such a way that they require the ISA level of (early)
> x86-64 CPUs.

Will Fedora 29 run on the CPU listed above?

> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
> Adjust the redhat-rpm-config, gcc, and glibc packages to switch to the
> new compiler flags. Except for mstackrealign, there is substantial
> experience with this configuration downstream.
>
> * Other developers:
> Other developers can enable SSE2 optimization in their packages if
> they want, where this has been a compile-time option only.
>
> * Release engineering:
> https://pagure.io/releng/issues/7543 #7543
>
> ** List of deliverables: TBD
>
> * Policies and guidelines:
> i686 is no longer a primary architecture. The Packaging Guidelines do
> not currently require support for non-SSE2 x86 systems, so no change
> is required there.
>
> * Trademark approval:
> N/A (not needed for this Change)
> --
> Jan Kuřík
> JBoss EAP Program Manager
> Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic

Guido Aulisi
Fas account: tartina