On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 6:08 AM Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 10:42 PM Josh Boyer <jwbo...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>> > This seems to be a very theoretical problem because it would mean that
>> > we have nine times the number of new candidates that we have now and
>> > everyone is so unsatisfied with FESCo that only new candidates will be
>> > elected. And if there is so deep dissatisfaction, a fresh start might
>> > even be a good idea. Also there would still be other people around to
>> > provide guidance or there is another problem.
>>
>> It was a solution to a practical problem when we came up with it.
>> Fedora was young, core and extras had just merged.  People were
>> excited about guiding Fedora at a technical level.  We needed the
>> structure to ensure we didn't have massive swings in direction on
>> technologies and sufficient transfer of knowledge.  The overall number
>> of contributors was smaller, but the interest level was greater.
>>
>> I'm not against reworking the election schedule or terms, but it's
>> good to know why something was put in place before you change it.
>> Dismissing it as theoretical does nothing but make me feel old, which
>> is OK because I am.  I'm not convinced a change in the election
>> structure or term limits is really going to drum up interest in FESCo
>> though.  The problems we face there are more fundamental than that.
>>
>> josh
>

> Over the past five years or so, the membership in FESCo has rarely changed
> except when an existing member voluntarily gives up their seat. The elections
> rely heavily on name recognition and so being on FESCo is self-reinforcing.
> This isn't necessarily a bad thing, however. Clearly it has been working for
> Fedora, since the Project is thriving.

Hm.  I mean no disrespect by this, but it could also mean that FESCo
is somewhat irrelevant to Fedora's current trajectory.  It's likely a
culmination of turning a crank at this point, with small nudges from
FESCo to make sure nothing gets in the gears.  I know we do a lot of
rubber stamping because process requires it.  I'm not sure that's what
I'd call thriving, either for FESCo itself or how our project works.
I think the reality lies somewhere in the middle though.

To be clear, I think Fedora produces an outstanding set of Editions
that have continued to work very well.  We should be proud of that.
That's our "product" though, not our project.

> I'd like to suggest a more radical approach then: what if we only hold
> elections under two circumstances?
>
> 1) An existing member steps down and announces that a seat is opening.
>
> 2) A vote of no-confidence is raised for one or more individuals currently
> serving. In this case, those individuals can also remain on the ballot to
> retain their seat. The details of the no confidence clause would need to be
> worked out to avoid constant jeopardy and too frequent elections, but I think
> that could be feasible.

I'd be OK with this, but no-confidence is really hard to nail down.

josh