On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 2:12 AM Tomasz Kłoczko <kloczko.tom...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 at 00:17, Igor Gnatenko
> <ignatenkobr...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> [..]
> > But looking into simple package build for f28 and f29 I see some nice
> trend.
> >
> > F28:
> > DEBUG util.py:439:  Install  179 Packages
> > DEBUG util.py:439:  Total download size: 146 M
> > DEBUG util.py:439:  Installed size: 570 M
> >
> > F29:
> > DEBUG util.py:439:  Install  144 Packages
> > DEBUG util.py:439:  Total download size: 87 M
> > DEBUG util.py:439:  Installed size: 425 M
>
> I'm almost 100% sure that it would be possible to save probably more
> by remove generate Requires dependencies using {Lib,Requires}.private
> out of .pc files (which are for static linking which is not possible
> to use on Fedora because only few devel packages provides static
> libraries) than generate 1.7k git changes and remove gcc from minimal
> set of packages. Not to mention that similar effect would be possible
> to reach by add gcc to glibc-devel and gcc-g++ to libbstdc++-devel
> requires.

I don't disagree with you. Moreover, I support this idea, but the problem
here is that you don't have way to say "hey, here is -static subpackage
which owns this .pc file, can you add auto-generated dependencies there?".
Once someone implements this in RPM (I would appreciate this because I have
use-case for Rust packages), we can submit Change Proposal and

> Just one technical question about forming stub Fedora build env
> (because I don't know how it is assembled).
> How it is done? Just one time by create minimal build image after add
> some set of new updates to official repository than snapshot and clone
> such image and use it as base on start build all new packages until
> next batch of packages will be pushed to repo used by build systems or
> every time which comes new build request such build env is assembled
> from scratch?
> Using for example btrfs and snapshosts would be possible to start
> adding all packages listed in BR instantly. Total storage overhead
> will be only ~150MB and nothing would be necessary to download to
> assemble such base build env. Cleanup all after finished build .. just
> remove shanpshot.

Every build it is generating new build environment. I also agree that
creating snapshot would be nice, but this is not implemented. If you would
like to work on this - I would appreciate that. In any case, you need to
talk to Koji <https://pagure.io/koji> developers.
--

-Igor Gnatenko