On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 05:01:14PM +0200, Daniel Mach wrote:

> > What's the benefit in changing to be compatible with YUM as opposed
> > to stickin with current alogorithm ?
> >
> If a user migrates from RHEL 7 to the next version of RHEL (or CentOS),
> there will be continuity in used algorithm and history db checksums.
> It's important to some enterprise customers to keep the history db in a
> good shape.
> Fedora users don't care about that much in general.

Creating incompatibilties for Fedora users to benefit RHEL users is
not a very compelling argument to me.

> > Surely if we don't change it, even fewer users will notice that DNF's
> > behaviour is different from YUM's, since DNF has been the default for
> > many releases now.
> >
> > I could understand the motiviation to stay compatible with YUM if we
> > were only just about to switch Fedora from YUM to DNF, but time is
> > way in the past now. Shouldn't we optimize for the fact that DNF is
> > the more widely deployed & used tool, and thus not worry about
> > YUM compatibility in respect of the history DB ?
> >
> Unfortunately RHEL knows nothing about DNF yet
> and it's YUM compatibility what matters.

If DNF looks at the previous transaction and sees the checksum doesn't
match that of the new transaction, could it fallback to re-calculate the
checksum with the old algorithm and retry validation. It can then continue
to use its current algorithm from that point onwards.

Regards,
Daniel