28.08.2018 14:28 Björn Persson <Bjorn@rombobjörn.se> wrote:
> Mattia Verga wrote:
> > The Group tag would not fix exactly what I mean. I wouldn't want to create
> > groups of packages, but apply descriptive tags of the abilities of the
> > package.
> > For example, in some of the packages I maintain:
> > ccdciel: astronomy, astrophotography, imaging, telescope
> > skychart: astronomy, telescope, planetarium
> > kpmcore: administration, disk, partition, utility
> >
> > ... so that a user can search for those tags in a package manager, instead
> > of searching Google to find what software can do what he's searching for and
> > then search for that package in the package manager to find if Fedora ships
> > it.
>
> Why don't you just write your descriptions to include those words?
>
> One can already find CCDciel with "yum search all telescope", Skychart
> with "yum search all planetarium", and KPMcore with "yum search all
> partition". Searching for "astronom" (to catch both "astronomy" and
> "astronomer") finds both CCDciel and Skychart.
> [...]

I think that *.desktop file which is a core of what PackageKit and GNOME
Software define as an application is a good place for keywords. This is
how it already works: if you type a keyword into the GNOME Software search
box or just into the GNOME (systemwide) search box it will find applications
including those not yet installed. Another advantage is that the keywords
in the *.desktop file can be easily localized so a user may search using
the native language.

Unfortunately, ccdciel.desktop [1] does not use Keywords keyword. But we
can change it, that's how open source works. :-)

Yes, I know, the spec file format also provides i18n features so the rpm
file can be translated as well but this is seldom used. I don't think we
have an infrastructure to facilitate this.

Regards,

Rafal

[1]
https://github.com/pchev/ccdciel/blob/master/system_integration/Linux/share/applications/ccdciel.desktop