On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 3:36 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondr...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 7.9.2018 v 03:45 Owen Taylor napsal(a):
>
> [...]
>
> If you maintain a graphical application, please try creating a Flatpak of
> it. Your experience will vary - some applications are quite easy, but if
> your application, for example:
>
>  * Uses qt5-qtwebengine
>  * Uses many KDE libraries
>  * Uses many Perl or Python packages
>  * Uses texlive
>
> etc, then you may want to wait - we will eventually be creating shared
> builds to make bundling these easier.
>

> <irony>
> Ah, make bundling easier, right. Finally we can bundle!
> </irony>
>
> Honestly, I fail to see how this can be promoted as good for Fedora. It
> might be good for upstream but not for Fedora.

To be clear, bundling here is *not* the same as simply including the
sources for a library into the application. What bundling means here is
including a particular build of a library into the application Flatpak so
that it is tested, deployed, and upgraded as a unit. But the library is
defined independently in Fedora, and is visible to our tooling.
Applications share libraries (beyond those included in the Flatpak runtime)
either:

 - At the source level, by including a reference to a src.fedoraproject.org
branch
 - A the binary level by depending on a module that includes a Flatpak
rebuild of the library

We haven't yet created such shared modules - we want to get some experience
first at creating Flatpaks to figure out what makes sense. But clearly they
are useful for dependencies that take a long time to rebuild and are shared
by many applications. (On the other hand, of the 3600 dependencies of
graphical applications in Fedora, almost half are a dependency of only
*one* graphical application.)

Owen