On Thu, Oct 11, 2018, at 8:37 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm new on this list. I work on Qubes OS, where Fedora is used as a base
> distribution.

Tangentially: Qubes is very cool and I'm glad you find Fedora useful
as a base system.  I work on Fedora CoreOS and have patches in a
lot of OS components; lorax, systemd, etc. If there's something blocking
you feel free to reach out and I may be able to
spend some time to help.  Also, if you decide to investigate using
rpm-ostree for the Qubes dom0 - I'd be very interested in helping.

> *guess* it's there for historical reason, from before
> aufs/overlayfs being available. Is there any other reason for that?

There is one thing to consider; overlayfs-on-overlayfs is not supported,
so this would break podman/docker out of the box.   But we could probably
have them fall back to the vfs backend; it's not like we really care a lot
about performance in the live media case.

One side note for OSTree-based systems we have some built-in support for
the read-only media case:
https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/commit/ff6883ca0655ac8844cd783caf6a7d8815515ba3
Which then changed to use systemd:
https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/commit/05d0ee5cbecd1287b87d38e969862a5d8b1f2e58
That still has /etc and /sysroot be read-only though.  Extending to overlayfs
for / would allow e.g. `rpm-ostree install` to work as well if the upperdir
is on a writable layer.