Hi, Máirín.

On Friday, 19 October 2018 at 05:43, Máirín Duffy wrote:
[...]
> I believe quite strongly (and have from the start when I first heard
> of the project) that Discourse's basic UX model is fundamentally
> flawed. If we deploy discourse and roll it out, we *may* get new
> users, but as noted in this thread, we will lose existing ones.
> Participating in upstream effort on Discourse, improving it, etc is
> foolish bc the fundamental model is broken.

Agreed. Well said.

[...]
> There is no reason a social media timeline like experience for the
> teenagers is not possible using email as the underlying system. Jabber
> never really took off, except Google Hangouts and FB messenger both
> used it (no idea if they still do.)

They used to, but no longer. Both have (d)evolved into their own
proprietary protocols. For FB, there's a plugin for pidgin/libpurple
that actually works quite well (purple-facebook package).

[...]
> I think it's a better idea to use a tool based on open standards, that
> allows users to use the client experience that works best for them. If
> you try to force everyone down one road it won't work.

I fully agree.

If the company behind Discourse goes away for some reason and the
project is not picked up by community, we'll end up having to support it
ourselves and I don't think we have resources for this.

I don't think e-mail is going away anytime soon.

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://getfedora.org  |  RPMFusion   http://rpmfusion.org