On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 10:11 AM Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 09:43:48AM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > It's also bad for archiving, since threads are inherently unstable.
> > Conversation splitting and merging is very awkward (as I've observed
> > in the Snapcraft Discourse). I can keep going, but it doesn't matter,
> > because you're dead set on this anyway.
>
> I ... don't know how to engage constructively with this accusation, because
> it it seems to come from absolutely nowhere. Yes, we're *definitely* trying
> out Discourse. That's not a conspiracy — it's live! We're also trying out
> HyperKitty. It's live too! We try stuff!

Do not misunderstand me, I don't mind trying out Discourse for certain
types of conversations if we want to, and clearly some communities in
Fedora do.

But I feel like we've done a bad job with giving HyperKitty a fair
shake. The same thing happened with Pagure too, but someone had the
wherewithal to push everything forward enough to make it a success,
and even now I'll say that Pagure is a nice environment. Yeah, Pagure
is still missing things I wish it had, but it's evolving and growing.
It took a few years, but it happened.

I know that the big promotion push for HyperKitty was supposed to come
with Hubs, but somehow that project died before it could go anywhere,
so...

I'm happy to help with infra related stuff, but I'm just not equipped
to do so. Only a few people are. :(

> The rest of everything —  development resources, infrastructure, whether
> there is widespread adoption — that's not something arguing over will
> change. When we can *see* something is not working, we can't just complain
> that those are unfair. we should try something else.

The reason I'm arguing about it now is because it doesn't seem to be
fixable from the background. We just keep hacking around it over and
over.

I don't like saying this, but what it comes down to is that our
relationship with RHEL has evolved into a one-sided affair. I wish
someone who is empowered to do something about it would, but the rest
of us can't.

Frankly, I suspect you're the only person who could maybe do anything
about it, and I'm not certain you could do anything about it.

> But the comments from several people implying some sort of fait accompli
> here, that some backroom decision has been made, that we're somehow trying
> to destroy communication.... seriously?

I'm not talking about you in the Fedora sense. I'm talking about
Gerald and his saying "we must move everything to Discourse".