stan writes:

 > So, you are really gung-ho for Discourse.

IMO, that's not nasty, but it wasn't necessary and could be taken
badly in context.  Just, "as a proponent, I'd like to ask you" is good
when things are getting heated.

Your questions are important[1], and I'd like to gloss them:

 > What is your personal experience of using it on a project, before
 > and after?

It would be helpful to specify the project.  It's also really
important to be specific about what was merely comfortable, and what
directly contributed to solving problems of developing the project's
software.

 > Did you actually see more engagement?

And by whom?  Developers?  Users with requirements?  Randos who
engaged in controversy but in the end contributed neither code nor to
refining requirements, specifications, or design?

Did you see *less* engagement (especially of the rando type)?

 > Did the process of development run smoother than it had before?

And if so, what aspects of the software contributed to smoothness, and
how?

Which parts of the process (requirements, specification, design,
coding, testing, documentation) benefited specifically?

Were there any aspects that were less smooth?

 > Did new contributors join the project you were working on?

 > Did experienced contributors keep contributing?

 > Did it help build community spirit?

How did "channel culture" change?  Were people more or less polite?
Were experienced participants more or less likely to help on-boarding
newcomers?  Mentor new contributors?

 > Did it make *your* life easier?

And for others?  How might these things generalize to this list?

Steve
GNU Mailman Project

Footnotes:
[1]  To Fedora in deciding to move or not, but also to Mailman to
learn requirements to improve our product.  "required disclosure"