On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 3:16 PM Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:59:24PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > > Just a query, Does XFCE Fedora 29 spin is removed?
> > > It is not visible here
> > > https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/29_RC-1.2/Spins/x86_64/iso/
> > See
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/MWR6OULSXFL6WF4RF4CLVFDVVRN73PKV/
>

> We've got to fix this so that non-blocking deliverables like this can be
> delivered independent of the main compose.

Maybe this is a bit radical, but perhaps we shouldn't *have* a
super-large compose in itself? If we decouple most of the deliverable
production from the "release tree" creation, then there's no reason
that ISOs couldn't be spun over and over without forcing the
regeneration of *all the things*. Nearly all the deliverables use the
same base tree anyway, and some of the ISO issues are related to
incorrect kickstart definitions that need some simple fixes.

That said, the other thing that's a problem here is that broken
composes don't notify the SIGs specifically that their stuff needs
fixing. We have(ish) this process for packages (once spam-o-matic
emails are sent again..), but we've never had something like this for
all the images we produce. This makes it hard for SIG folks to know
there's a problem that needs fixing until it's too late.

Also, this most recent class of issues are related to packaging
problems or package selection issues for kickstarts. The former issue
is that some packages need simple rebuilds for soname bumps. Since we
apparently can't have auto-rebuild + submit for such trivial things,
we really need at least spam-o-matic mails getting sent when these get
detected. The latter issue is also interesting, do we have an
equivalent for testing the resolvability of package selections in
%packages sections for kickstarts? If not, that might be a good idea
to have so that we can validate them before going through the
expensive process of producing ISOs. That could even be a CI test on
the fedora-kickstarts repo!