On Sat, 27 Oct 2018, Scott Talbert wrote:

The problem with using the bundled copy is that the bundled copy doesn't
include the sip binary.  So if we use the wxpython bundled sip module code
with the sip package's sip binary, we could end with mismatched sip
versions.

Wow, that's seems like a fragile setup indeed, what does your upstream
recommend?

Well, the upstream build process downloads a copy of the sip binary from the wxpython website.

For solving this, I am seeing these options:

1) Have the 'sip' package generate a private copy of the sip module for wxpython as you have done for Qt4 and Qt5.

2) Include the sip module source code in the 'sip-devel' package and wxpython can generate its own private copy of the module during build.

3) Bundle the sip binary source code (that matches the existing bundled sip module code) into wxpython and build the sip binary as part of the wxpython build.

Thoughts?

It really seems to me that the better design (for sip) would be to allow the sip binary to generate the sip module code during build, so that the private copy of the module could live in the user packages, not in the sip package.

I'm leaning towards #2 as the solution. I think you'd just have to include the siplib/ directory in the sip-devel package and then I could just build wxpython's private module against that. What do you think?

Scott