Le mardi 06 novembre 2018 à 11:05 +0100, Dridi Boukelmoune a écrit :
> > I'm with you in the sense that I too fail to see practical benefits
> > of
> > modules so far. But e.g. the java-sig says it makes their life
> > easier,
> > and it is their choice. The decision was made to proceed with
> > modularity in Fedora. Once that decision was made, we cannot forbid
> > packagers from making use of the new functionality. This further
> > step
> > is only a natural consequence.
>
> Besides not seeing benefits of modules, while I do understand the
> rationale it's also something I disagree with. I feel like modules go
> against the First principle, I get a sense of bundling there too.

My current understanding of modules benefits is that they’re just
improved SCLs. ie something EL oriented that the average Fedora packager
has little interest or use for.

Practically, being improved SCLs just means:

1. rawhide has the latest version of each module enabled by default,
2. stable has the same version enabled by default if the module version
is completely baked, and the previous one otherwise
3. epel has the same module version as stable enabled by default

So the average Fedora packager ends up maintaining at most two streams
of packages in parallel.

That actually cut downs the number of version a Fedora packager needs to
maintain from 3 (devel + 2 × stable) to 2. I suppose one could up it to
3 to get the same QA levels as the current systems. Realistically, one
could even use Fedora release versions as module versions.

And every other combination is an explicit user choice, for the same
people that use or maintain SCLs today, with about the same level of
popularity or uptake. And everyone who hopes to see a flourishing of
module versions will hit the “no one’s interested in packaging and QA-
ing a miriad versions of the same software” wall.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot