> The advantage for packagers is just temporary, as long as the
> (supposedly) older library they still use is maintained. One day, they
> will need to move forward. This is just postponing the inevitable.

And for the same reason we have compat packages, we can't always honor
the First principle because upstream projects update their dependencies
requirements at different paces and not all dependencies are maintained
with forward compatibility in mind.

Software projects in general jump the trigger too easily when it comes
to adding unneeded dependencies, and dependency graphs grow with
quadratic complexity.

I like the idea of package maintainers getting involved with their
upstream projects, and I also understand that trying to add a single
package may sometimes (often?) result in having to also maintain dozens
of other packages and that getting involved with all upstreams doesn't
scale. I consider compat packages to be a last resort solution and
don't see the value of modules. But again I understand the rationale
and appreciate the effort (I simply disagree).

Better tooling won't cut it, we also need more maintainers and ideally
maintainers from upstream projects that understand the challenges of
software downstream distribution. But again it doesn't scale when
upstream projects face dozens of distributions.

What's really inevitable is conflicting agendas (and limited
resources) of so many parties.

Dridi