I have an update on the koji end.  The 1.17 release will not only drop the
yum dependency, it will also have full python 3 support (except for image
building that uses oz / imagefactory).  Unfortunately, there is only medium
confidence that the 1.17 release will be ready by the F30 devel freeze on
Tuesday.  It depends on whether QE uncovers any issues in its final
testing.  If we're not able to land the release on Tuesday, what is the
backup plan?