On 4/17/19 4:38 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
On Di, 16.04.19 09:06, Adam Williamson (adamw...@fedoraproject.org) wrote:

I think all of these are good ideas. "No udev-settle" seems like a nice
highlevel goal to shoot for.

Another one I might add: "No stuck stop jobs" - it annoys me every single
time when I reboot and something like rngd or conmon holds up my reboot
for several minutes for no reason at all.

I've seen the rngd stop thing, hadn't had time to investigate it yet as
more urgent fires keep showing up :/

What's the story anyway for rngd? Why would userspace be better at
providing entropy to the kernel than the kernel itself? Why do we
enable it on desktops at all, such systems should not be
entropy-starved.

Non developers, true. Developer's workstations, wrong. Just signing a few packages (java's jarsigner) to test your code runs fine under those conditions can drop to near zero the entropy, taking a lot of time to finish the signing.

Do we need this at all now that the kernel can use
RDRAND itself?

rngd runs as regular system service, hence what's the point of that
altogether? I mean, it runs so late during boot, at a point where the
entropy pool is full anyway, and we need the kernel's RNG much much
earlier already (already because systemd assigns a uuid to each
service invocation that derives from kernel RNG, and it does that
super early). So, why run a service that is supposed to fill up the
entropy pool at a point where we don't need it anymore, and if the
kernel can do what it does most likely already on its own?

Isn't it time to kick rngd out of the default install, in particular
on the workstation image? Isn't keeping it around just cargo culting?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin