On Friday, August 13, 2010 07:21:50 pm Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 17:17 +0200, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:

> > > A policy requiring us to push something broken is broken. I'm not going
> > > to push broken shit.
> >
> > Just irony but it feels like...
>
> I wonder why I get the impression that the only ones who strongly oppose
> this change are you folks from KDE SIG... Are you doing things
> differently from anyone else in fedora - the rest of us are either more
> or less neutral or positive towards this new change?

Yes, we do it in a completely different way and I would say it's even much more
strict but still very flexible. All bigger and important updates go through
kde-unstable, kde-testing repository for some time, then it usually takes a
few weeks in updates-testing and we collect input from users, testers (and lot
of us test latest bits too). Final push to stable is team decision! We have
bug trackers as blockers etc. And even our own steering committee for hard
decisions ;-) But it's still flexible - if we need quick fix for some minor
issue - it's possible (it's still team decision!).

Most problems in updates are task for Auto QA, not a very strict policy (I
would say it's more strict than RHEL updates :))). And I'm not completely
against it - it's reasonable to try to have best update experience but... As
David Malcolm said in the thread - one size fits all. And we don't have one
size, ten, hundred but thousands... It's open source!!!

> Basically from both user and maintainer point of view I'm for more
> testing and more conservative update policy in general in stable
> branches.

That's exactly our aim. To try to balance latest upstream bits (with thousands
fixes) with stability in terms of regressions - it's hard task and I admit we
even failed once (4.4 & akonadi) but still it's the only way how to support
Plasma Desktop.

Jaroslav