On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 at 11:30, Björn Persson <Bjorn@rombobjörn.se> wrote:

> Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >As mentioned before: systemd itself already needs entropy itself (it
> >assigns a random 128bit id to each service invocation, dubbed the
> >"invocation ID" of it, and it generates the machine ID and seeds its
> >hash table hash functions)
>
> Given that access to entropy during early boot is so problematic,
> hardware-dependent and full of catch-22s, it seems to me that an init
> system should use the entropy pool only if it really must.
>
> With that in mind, could you explain why the invocation ID and the hash
> tables need to be cryptographically secure? Why is rand or a simple
> serial number not good enough? I never heard that lack of a
> cryptographically secure invocation ID was a big security problem
> before SystemD.

I expect they have to be because someone pointed out some security hack
that can be done without it and no one ever noticed it before (or had a way
to fix it before so we just knocked it as a 'well cant fix it so never
mind'). Over the years in this business I have seen a lot of issues in the
past with that mantra... they only usually get re-earthed when someone gets
a nit because a new tool doesn't have it.

> Björn Persson

Stephen J Smoogen.