On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 5:52 AM Michal Schorm <msch...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to propose tiny correction for the Fedora wiki page about GRUB2 [1].
>
> However I'm not confident enought to edit it prior to any discussions,
> so that's why I'm writing here.
>
> In the chapter "Updating GRUB 2 configuration on UEFI systems"
> In the section "Install the bootloader files"
> I believe, there should be an information added, that the 'grub2-efi'
> package *must* match your architecture. So e.g. for x86_64, you want
> the 'grub2-efi-x64' package.

No. You can have x86_64 CPU but the firmware is 32-bit, hence ia32
which is why there is:

grub2-efi-ia32-1:2.02-81.fc30.x86_64.rpm

The user space will still be 64-bit but the EFI binaries will be
32-bit for the rare firmware floating out there that require it. There
isn't a problem with 32-bit and 64-bit EFI binaries being located on
the same EFI system volume in EFI/fedora, the firmware figures it out
(I think by filenaming convention which is mentioned in the UEFI
spec).

My suggested change for this section:

🔗 Install the bootloader files
If you don't already have the relevant packages installed, do for
Fedora 22 and later versions with DNF or with YUM for older Fedora
releases:

- dnf install grub2-efi shim
+ dnf install grub2-efi-ia32 grub2-efi-x64
- yum install grub2-efi shim

If you do, then try:

dnf reinstall grub2-efi shim
- yum reinstall grub2-efi shim

---

I think it's a negative for user to have to read a wall of text
explaining any aspect of architecture to them. It's bad enough we have
to explain BIOS vs UEFI. Just tell them to install the bootloader for
both, which is what a default Workstation installation does anyway.
And then remove deprecated yum command.

For reinstall, the existing command will replace both packages and
their respective EFI binaries.

> but I believe I only need the 'grub2-efi-x64.x86_64'.
> Given that, maybe the anaconda installation should be checked to not
> pull uneeded packages?

I'm pretty sure UEFI bitness is exposed by
/sys/firmware/efi/fw_platform_size but I don't know if anaconda uses
it.

--
Chris Murphy