Dne 30. 05. 19 v 14:57 Kevin Kofler napsal(a):
Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

"BC" == Ben Cotton <bcot...@redhat.com> writes:
BC> * The recommended compression level is 19. The builds will take
BC> longer, but the additional compression time is negligible in the
BC> total build time and it pays off in better compression ratio than xz
BC> lvl2 has.

That seems different than other results I've seen.  According to the
wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zstandard) and the
references therein, Ubuntu found that zstd level 19 was faster but with
poorer compression when compared with xz level 2 (which is the same
level that we use now).
I haven't recompiled all Fedora, hoping that the package set I used (Livecd RPMs) is a good sample. Thanks for pointing this out.

If the smallest size is the goal, wouldn't it be worth trying to just use a
higher xz level instead?
That would increase the compression ratio, but I don't know the impact on compression and decompression times and also required memory for both operations. On modern system with NVMEs, CPU seems to be the bottleneck and it might get worse if we increase xz compression level.