On 22/07/2019 19:51, Ben Cotton wrote:

After preliminary discussions with CPU vendors, we propose AVX2 as the
new baseline.  AVX2 support was introduced into CPUs from 2013 to
2015. See
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions#CPUs_with_AVX2
CPUs with AVX2].

Going all the way to AVX2 seems like it would be, in the words
of Sir Humphrey, a very bold idea.

I just checked the five machines I run Fedora 30 on at home and
exactly one of them is AVX2 capable, namely my laptop.

My desktop is about six years old, and doesn't have it, though
that is likely to be updated soon.

My PVR machine is a similar age and I had no particular plans
to upgrade that currently.

My firewall is brand new, built a few months ago to replace
a 32 bit machine because Fedora was deprecating that! Yet it
is a low end Celeron CPU and has no AVX2 support.

The final one is a VM from a cloud provider and even updating
to their latest hardware profile doesn't get me an AVX2 capable
system.

I will need to check but I suspect there will be a fair few
production systems at work that are missing support as well.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/