Not to mention that firewalld has the concept of services. I never
have to know a port number to expose a service if it's defined.
`firewall-cmd --add-service=postgresql`... that could just as well be
done with a UI without ever showing a port number to a user.

If applications that need ports exposed to work in some circumstances
have well written service files it should be a non-issue.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 8:56 AM Dan Book <gri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 8:10 AM <mcatanz...@gnome.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 4:22 AM, John Harris <joh...@splentity.com> wrote:
>>
>> No, that is not how this works, at all. First, let's go ahead and address
>> the idea that "if the firewall blocks it, the app breaks, so it's the
>> firewall's fault": It's not. If the firewall has not been opened, that just
>> means it can't be accessed by remote systems until you EXPLICITLY open that
>> port, with the correct protocol, on your firewall. That's FINE. That's how
>> it's designed to work. There's nothing wrong with that. This means that the
>> system administrator (or owner, if this is some individual's personal
>> system) must allow the port to be accessed remotely, before the app can be
>> reached remotely, increasing the security of the system.
>>

>> You've already lost me here. Sorry, but we do not and will not install a
>> firewall GUI that exposes complex technical details like port numbers.
>> Expecting users to edit firewall rules to use their apps is ridiculous and
>> I'm not really interested in debating it.
>>
>> If the user is capable of editing firewall rules and wants to do so, that
>> user can surely also change the policy to not open all these ports. Yes?
>

> That Gnome is intentionally sabotaging users and thinks they are too stupid
> to understand a port number associated with a service is just another example
> why I wish that Fedora and Redhat would put work into alternative desktops.
>
> -Dan

Jason Montleon        | email: jmont...@redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.         | gpg key: 0x069E3022
Cell: 508-496-0663    | irc: jmontleo / jmontleon