On Tuesday, August 27, 2019 4:58:15 PM MST Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 5:02 PM Adam Williamson
> <adamw...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>

> > However, Fedora Workstation is an edition. Which means it has a
> > *policy-defined* target audience. That target audience is defined here:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Workstation_PRD#Target_Audience
> >

> > Case 1: "Engineering/CS student"
> > Case 2: "Independent Developer"
> > Case 3: "Small Company Developer"
> > Case 4: "Developer in a Large Organization"
> >

> > Are those people we believe do not understand the concepts associated
> > with firewalls?
>

> This is exactly what I was alluding to upthread with "developers are a
> large target audience, in particular for Workstation"
>
> They're clearly safer with FedoraWorkstation zone (default) enabled
> than with the firewall disabled. I can't estimate how much safer.
>
> I definitely do not want to pester developers, or make their day to
> day life difficult. If there's no satisfactory GUI right now to manage
> it, it's difficult to even experiment with different policies. The
> original firewalld proposal considered the graphical tool the main way
> of interacting with the firewall, and it was the cli tool that came
> later, yet as far as I recall, Workstation never shipped with this GUI
> tool.
>

> --
> Chris Murphy
> Fedora Code of Conduct:
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/ List
> Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines List
> Archives:

The default zone essentially disables the firewall, without disabling it. It
doesn't provide any real security.

I don't want to pester devs either, which is something fixing this would have
little effect on. https://xkcd.com/1172/

There IS a satisfactory GUI to manage the firewall. If I recall correctly,
it's literally called "firewall-gui".

--
John M. Harris, Jr. <joh...@splentity.com>
Splentity