On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 07:28:37 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 4:50 AM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:
>

>     I do not know the details well enough to be able to decide which is the
>     better way here. Both should be doable in principle.
>

> As the maintainer of OpenImageIO I agree with Kevin, I'm OK with either, but
> one thing I would ask upstream is why they bumped soname on a patch level
> version increase...

Yes---confused me too. I'll ask them this when I e-mail them next.

> With my packages I would typically update all released Fedora versions for
> patch level updates, but I also frequently build the package myself and run
> abi-compliance-checker or fedabipkgdiff on it to make sure things like soname
> bumps don't sneak in...

The changes from 3.6.2 to 3.6.4 do mention a few API changes, not too
clearly though, in their release announcements/changelogs:
https://github.com/DCMTK/dcmtk/tree/master/docs

There is no mention of ABI changes there.

I did run abipkgdiff, and this is what it gave me:
https://ankursinha.fedorapeople.org/misc/dcmtk-3.6.2-3.6.4-abipkgdiff.txt

It doesn't pick up any changes in the shared objects (can it, if the
version has been changed?). I'm not experienced enough with these
reports. Does that look OK?

For the time being I'm going to backport the patch and push an update as
Mamoru suggested, simply because it's less work and quicker.

--
Thanks,
Regards,