On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 04:07:59PM +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 08:47:24AM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> > On 9/26/19 8:42 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> > > Again, I'd like to reinforce that the idea is not to enforce any part of
> > > this
> > > workflow tomorrow, it'll be a smooth, slow and long transition. My
> > > question is
> > > whether this is a place where we want to go or can we come up with a
> > > different/better one?:)
> >
> > The problem with this statement is that this is written as "come up with
> > something different or else we're doing it my way anyway" and not "ok, we'll
> > not do this."
>
> This is all very open for discussion but I'm going to defend my proposal to
> some
> extent :)
>
> There is a clear initial rejection of a PR-only contribution model. I hear
> that
> and that may mean that we never go this way. I'm honestly fine with that :)
> I do want to see why that is a show-stopper and if we can find ways to not
> have
> it be a show-stopper.
>
> When we work on upstream projects, I think it's pretty standard now to always
> go
> via PRs, even for your own branch.
> So that tests are run, so that other member of the community can see, comment,
> review the change.

That's completely fine...

> What is so different in Fedora that we cannot move to this model?

... the problem is saying that this is the only approach.

In various upstream projects I maintain, PRs may be used in 99.5% of cases,
but there always are cases where a manual merge or a direct commit is the
best option.

Particular aspect of working in a distro is the number of repos one might
touch: it would be very unusual to commit to more than a handful of github
repos in a year. It is completely normal to commit to hundreds of dist-git
repos in one week when doing a mass change.

Zbyszek