Yes, this was voted in https://pagure.io/modularity/issue/112#comment-553234
> Allow maintainers to specify that a module stream will live until
> the EOL date of a particular Fedora release or EPEL minor release,
> with special cases for "just keep building until I say otherwise"?
and approved in https://pagure.io/modularity/issue/112#comment-562677.
(I'm providing exact links because it's hard to find.)

> - Update Policy is the same for modules as for normal packages,
> - major package updates can only occur at "release upgrade" time

I'm not sure if that is specified in plain text anywhere.
The last image in
https://pagure.io/modularity/working-documents/blob/master/f/lifecycles-upgrades-ownership/lifecycles-general.md
shows that at least.

But the gist of
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Updates_Policy/#philosophy
applies to modules too: if there's a module that has been released for
some Fedora version, a major user-visible change would be just a disruptive
for users as a major user-visible change in any packages. This certainly
applies to streams like "/stable" and "/version-nnn".

Maybe somebody from the Modularity team can provide clarification here
and links to policy.

> If I'm not suffering from too low blood levels of caffeine right now,
> then from these 3 constraints follows:
>
> - default streams are basically useless (since they cannot target
> multiple fedora releases in most cases, due to the Update Policy),

In general, yes. If the package versions have incompatibilities and/or
user-visible changes, a different stream is needed for each Fedora
release. There was a subthread about this recently, starting at
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/C5EX4WI7Z4HZZLVTUIHSMMPPUGTFENYE/.

> - flexible lifecycle advantages of modules do not apply to fedora,
> since module EOL dates must align with fedora release EOL dates.
>
> Then, what *is* the benefit of using modules for "default" versions of
> fedora packages, if "default" streams have to usually be maintained
> separately for different fedora branches, just like normal packages,
> but with the *additional* overhead of Modularity - and additional work
> for maintainers of dependent packages?

That is one of questions we are trying to answer in this thread ;)

Zbyszek