On Mon, Oct 21, 2019, 15:17 Stephen John Smoogen <smo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 01:55, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 09:30:52PM -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > > If I were to start from scratch on this, I would look at the simplest
> > > solution I would want from Boltron. I want to make it so a package
> team can
> > > make a set of packages in a repository and work out how I can interact
> with
> > > other repositories. I also want to easily build that package set in
> ways to
> > > work on different versions of an operating system.
> >
> > The question is whether this team wants to do the "heavy lifting"
> > (which might or might not actually be very heavy), of integrating with
> > the rest of the distro. If they don't, then Copr is the answer: it
> > provides all the answers, including automatic rebuilds.
> >

> The problem is that COPRs do not have any way of communicating with
> each other. If I grab from copr-A and it has libfoo-2.3.1-1 and I grab
> from copr-B and it has libfoo-2.3.2-2 then I am going to replace
> copr-A's packages which may break what I wanted from there. I am
> saying that if we look at a way that they can clearly communicate
> these problems to the user then we have fixed that.

Why not specify those requirements in RPM Requires? That's what they are
for.

> Also there needs to be a way to communicate that an upgrade from F32
> to F33 will break a system because copr-B has no F-33 packages.

This already works somewhat, the only change that would be needed is
setting skip_if_unavailable = false for COPR repos (I think they're set to
true right now).

> > If they do, and they invest in following the packaging guidelines and
> > and the release cycles and whatever we say makes the package suitable
> > for users and other packagers to build on, they get to put the package
> > in the distro.
> >

> From what I have heard over and over is that it isn't the packaging
> guidelines which are a problem.. it is dealing with threads like this
> or the continual drama churn we have. Investing in the OS means a lot
> of emotional energy which a lot of people have no room for in our
> current world. In some ways I see being able to bolt things into Coprs
> as an escape from dealing with constant absolutes of 'your wrong!'
> which most of our messages devolve to.
>
> The problem is that our current 20,000 packages is a LOT and most
> software needs more than we actually have packaged. That means
> continual growth, but our other needs of 'I need this as quickly as
> possible', 'I expect you to have fixed all these things', etc are more
> than most volunteers can deal with at this size. We end up shutting
> down and yelling at each other because deep down we just want the
> noise to stop.

Yes, I agree, the current growth of the package set isn't sustainable if we
don't also scale up the contributor base. I suspect that there are a few
handfuls of packagers who maintain hundreds of packages, while the majority
only maintains only a handful of packages. And relying on the
"overcommitters" (pun intended) to keep the distro running isn't working so
well.

Fabio