On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 11:40 AM Felix Schwarz
<fschw...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

Hi Felix!

> Am 29.11.19 um 11:18 schrieb Miro Hrončok:
> > My effort is to raise the awareness about he failure. Despite my large
> > effort,
> > I cannot possibly fix all the build failures in Fedora.
>
> I just wanted to mention that I appreciate your efforts.
>
> I think the "fallout" from retired packages may be a symptom I noticed in the
> past months: It seems as if a lot of Fedora maintainers are actually not
> participating anymore. With the FTBFS/retirement policy this is just easier to
> see.
>
> <rant>
> I had a lot of problems getting *any* response from several packagers even
> when sending a complete pull request which adds just some simple stuff (e.g.
> GPG source file verification). This was just simple packaging stuff not
> something which might require actual coding skills.
> Getting useful packages being added to EPEL8 has been a very frustrating so
> far.
> </rant>
>
> However I should mention that some packagers were being very helpful.
>
> One thing which I think is holding Fedora back is the complicated process of
> getting commit access to some packages. If the maintainer is not responding
> the only thing you could do is to file a non-responsive maintainer ticket.

I agree, this is a problem that doesn't have a good solution. But the
non-responsive maintanier process has been streamlined quite a bit
recently, so it's not as bad as it was.

> (And how long should I wait before doing this? If I file a ticket and wait 3-4
> weeks before starting the process, usually I already built a workaround so I
> don't care anymore about the Fedora package.)

If it's obvious that the packager isn't active in fedora anymore,
there's no reason to wait for a month. The policy states to wait for
one week, and that's exactly what I usually do, when going through the
non-responsive maintainer process.

> Each package is somehow its own "island" and sometimes I think the packaging
> process only works for "provenpackagers" and people in the stewardship-sig.

I'm not really sure what you want to say here. There's a pretty strict
policy about what changes provenpackagers are "allowed" to make to
"foreign" packages, and it doesn't include pushing minor improvements.
Also, while there is some overlap between provenpackagers and the
Stewardship SIG (I think Miro, Gwyn, Neal, and me), we only maintain
our group's packages, and for everything else we go through the same
channels as you (proposing PRs, sending emails to maintainers, opening
non-responsive maintainer tickets).

Fabio