On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 9:04 am, Igor Gnatenko <ignatenkobr...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
So my question would be: Should I patch rust-openssl to use
PROFILE=DEFAULT or I should just remove that call entirely? It is not
very clear to me from the guidelines.

That wouldn't be correct. It needs to use PROFILE=SYSTEM (Fedora system policy), not PROFILE=DEFAULT (upstream default policy).

Two options:

* You can simply patch out the call to ctx.set_cipher_list() (potentially-upstreamable solution) * You can change the whole string from "DEFAULT:!aNULL:!eNULL:!MD5:!3DES:!DES:!RC4:!IDEA:!SEED:!aDSS:!SRP:!PSK" to "SYSTEM" (probably slightly clearer for a downstream patch)

Also since I want to get this
upstream, which option is more portable?

I suspect the only portable option would be to delete the call. I suspect you cannot use SYSTEM policy except on Fedora/RHEL; it probably doesn't exist elsewhere and won't work. I haven't checked to be certain for OpenSSL, but that's definitely the case for GnuTLS and it's likely the same. Accordingly, the change is not suitable for upstream unless upstream is OK with dropping the manual cipher list, so you'll probably need to keep this downstream indefinitely.

I think it would be nice for Fedora crypto policy to be adjusted so as to be suitable for upstream applications, so we don't have to patch applications forever to comply, but this was a deliberate design choice.

Michael