On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 3:51 PM Samuel Sieb <sam...@sieb.net> wrote:

> On 12/30/19 11:57 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > If you can manually boot off a USB stick with a Fedora install image
> > on it, post the following to the bug report:
> > efibootmgr -v
>
> This would be the most important information to start with.  From the
> description, grub is not getting loaded.  So the question is, what
> happened to the EFI entry?  Is it somehow pointing to OSX or did
> something happen to grub and the BIOS is falling back to the other
> available option after failing to boot it?

Ahh I missed the part where it's not getting to GRUB.

In that case, a short term work around is to hold down the option key
before the boot chime ends, and the firmware's built-in boot manager
should appear, and display more than one boot option - hopefully
obviously one of them is Fedora (or at least not macOS).

There is a mechanism in shim.efi for adding itself as a boot entry in
NVRAM, if it doesn't exist. So it might turn out doing this solves the
problem and leaves no trace of why the trouble began in the first
place. But I'm content with that outcome, and assuming it all worked
out as designed. :-D

--
Chris Murphy