On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 12:16:17PM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Additional_buildroot_to_test_x86-64_micro-architecture_update
>
> == Summary ==
>
> Create a dedicated buildroot to test packages built with x86-64
> micro-architecture update.

So, a few questions:

Can packages built in this buildroot be used on the same system with
packages from the normal buildroot?

I assume one of the reasons to do this is that we don't know which
packages benifit from the changes and by how much?
If we do or could at least have a good idea about this and the normal
packages could be shared on the same systems, how about only
doing those specific packages in the seperate buildroot instead of
everything? That would save a lot of space and also get wider testing
perhaps (if people could just upgrade packages from the normal repo to
test)

Do these builds need to be signed?

Would there be some kind of initial 'mass build' to populate existing
packages / things that don't rebuild very often?

Would there need to be some kind of bootstrap? Or would this inherit
from the existing normal buildroot?

My main concern here is the storage front. Would we need to keep old
builds? Or could we just keep the last successfull build only?

I guess ideally there will be 0 changes to spec files (just different
macros, etc)? And if there are changes, they would be something we would
want to upstream, so perhaps a bugzilla tracker for any spec changes to
make sure as much as possible they go upstream and go away?

I wonder if in naming and such we could make sure we are doing things
generically. ie, instead of naming anything here avx2 or something we
name it 'altmicro' or 'alternatearch' so we could keep / reuse this for
other things later.

Thanks for the proposal!

kevin