I think, and this is my personal opinion, that Ubuntu is so popular, because it is easy to use for everyone. You don't need to have much technical knowledge to use Ubuntu for most thinks that non technical user needs and it looks good.

Every time I'm trying to use Fedora the same way, I always end up in terminal for various reasons, either because of bugs in some software or debugging something that simply doesn't work.

I tried a experiment on my desktop computer and tried to play with it like regular user (using GUI for everything and doing things like installing new things, watching movies, playing games etc.). It worked for some time, but I always encounter something that just broke things and if you google it, there is in most cases no way to fix this without using terminal and have some technical knowledge.

The same is for the guides. There are plenty of guides for Ubuntu with screenshots, so it's easy for users to just follow these guides. For Fedora we have plenty of guides that just have only commands you need to run and I know plenty of users that just don't know what command means or where they should write it.

Michal