On Tuesday, January 21, 2020 1:16:00 PM EST Miro Hrončok wrote:

> >> Ultimately yes they should be fixed, but giving a means of easily
> >> mitigating the problem while people work with upstream to fix the
> >> issues is also useful, it's been a problem for ever and expecting
> >> people to fix it in short order is problematic especially when they'll
> >> start to be deluged in FTBFS spam within moments of the mass rebuild.
> >
> > That was the idea.   Provide a trivial opt-out so that upstreams had
> > time to fix properly.  I even volunteered to add the opt-out marker
> > where appropriate to minimize the FTBFS issues.  I also volunteered to
> > help with the packages that don't honor flags injection.
>
> This sounds reasonable to me.
>
> The PR is
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/redhat-rpm-config/pull-request/77
>
> I have reopened it.
>
> The mass rebuild will notify the maintainrs and they can use that macro to
> short-workaround the problem. It' also easier to grep from the specs than
> custom patches and whatnots

I need something like this for suricata. It has about 45 variables causing
this. And it's not a simple "extern" addition because it looks like in many
cases the variable was never placed in a C file. Simply adding extern keyword
leads undefined reference errors. This will take a while to sort out with
upstream.

-Steve