Great feedback. Thanks! :-)

    On Tuesday, February 4, 2020, 11:19:31 AM EST, Michal Srb <m...@redhat.com>
wrote:

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 5:07 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 10:36 AM Michal Srb <m...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>

> On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 4:29 PM Bill Chatfield via devel
> <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> I may take it as soon as I figure out how.
>>
>> But, if you're building a Java app, you probably use Maven to build it, so
>> Maven is going to download from mavencentral, not the version packaged in
>> Fedora. So I'm beginning to wonder how useful the packaged apps are. Am I
>> missing something?
>

> Packaged Java apps are useful, but packaged libraries (if not used by any
> Java app in the distribution) not so much. Nobody's going to develop anything
> against them. Like you said, developers will fetch what they need from Maven
> Central.

If we don't have packaged libraries, nobody can ship packaged
applications. And there are definitely cases where people develop
against packaged Java libraries. I used to work in one such case.
Nowadays I live primarily in the Python ecosystem, and I can live
entirely in packaged libraries there too. It'd be nice to have this
again for Java.

This is more complicated and it would probably deserve a separate thread :)
Java and Python are completely different ecosystems. And Java ecosystem
(apps/libs) is just inherently unfriendly to Linux distributions. It's not
necessary bad or broken - it's just different.

I am curious: what was the reason to develop against the packaged Java
libraries?

Thanks,Michal