On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 02:55:37PM +0100, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 2:47 PM Remi Collet <fed...@famillecollet.com> wrote:
> >
> > Le 24/02/2020 à 17:48, Pierre-Yves Chibon a écrit :
> >
> > >   - You can easily opt-in by using the macros
> >
> > Please keep opt-in as a mandatory need for such a change.
> >

> > To be clear, I will be (perhaps the only) one to not use it.
> >

> > For now spec file are self-contained, which is nice.
> >
> > I don't like the idea of generated / external stuff related
> > to "storage" or "build system"
> >

> > Sorry, to be again the old bad guy which don't like changes.
> >
> > Remi
>
> FWIW, I agree. Maybe I'm getting old as well >:-D
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to use any information from outside the
> dist-git repository as a source of truth for anything.
> The big benefit of only using the git repository as source of
> information is that it is immutable, reproducible, and cannot be
> changed after commits have been pushed.
> The git repository data is also available for working on packages
> *offline*, in contrast to having to ask koji for the number of builds
> since X ...

The way I see it is this:
With the number of commits+number of build idea, you get the same results
locally and in bodhi.
Locally fedpkg build or rpmbuild -ba will override the existing RPM
In koji, it will simply append a .1 to the release to avoid overriding the
existing RPM.
But the content and release, except for two characters, will be the same.

That being said, there seems to be a consensus forming about wanting to rely
only on number of commits (though, we still have the upgrade path issue to sort
out).

Pierre